One of the questions that I get asked regularly is what are NetApp’s integration points with vCloud Director 5.1. So, since I get asked this a lot I figure it would be a good idea to create a blog post around this topic. Take a look at the list below for an idea of the multiple areas that NetApp integrates with vCD 5.1.
Data ONTAP Integration
- Accelerated Performance: Intelligent Caching, FlashPools, FlashAccel all increase performance in vCloud Director
- Snapshots: Backup and recovery is key and NetApp Snapshot technologies will form the basis for our backup and recovery offering for vCD
- Unified Architecture: One storage OS across all our FAS Platforms combined with ease of addition and subtraction from a cluster make this a time and money saving feature. To really geek out.. “One Storage OS to rule them all….”
- Storage Efficiency: Thin Provisioning, Deduplication, and FlexClones provide the same benefit with vCD as they do with vSphere.
- Continuous Operations: with clustered ontap a cloud environment will stay up even in the event of a hardware failure. The ability to move volumes / datastore between clusters while keeping the same IP addressing and accessibility makes the pain of maintenance a thing of the past.
Specifically. Full Copy Offload is way cool with NetApp. It provides the following benefits:
- Leverages the array ability to mass copy, snapshot, and move blocks via SCSI commands
- 10x faster VM deployment, clone, snapshot, and Storage VMotion
- Replaces Fast Provisioning with FlexClones
- Replaces the single vApp snapshot with a NetApp Snapshot
NetApp Virtual Storage Console (VSC)
Datastore deployment: VSC uses datastores found in a vCenter that it is managing. Being able to deploy different datastores with potentially different SLA’s for vCD in vSphere and then have vCD consume this storage is essential.
Storage Management: Just like the in vCenter, the storage management features in VSC affect vCloud Director as well. Being able to activate deduplication, create and destroy datastores, manage datastores, align VMs, and get reports on your storage from a centralized point inside of vCenter makes an admins life much easier.
- Manage Credentials for Multiple vCenter Servers:
- Register authentication information and login URL for each vCenter Server instance.
- List the login URLs and connection status of the vCenter Server instances.
- Remove the vCenter Server instance, thereby deleting the authentication information, and login URL from the list of stored vCenter Server instances.
- Manage Credentials for vCD:
- Register authentication information and login URL for the vCloud Director instance
- List URL of the vCloud Director SDK and connection status
- Remove vCloud Director instance, thereby deleting the authentication information, and URL of the VMware vCloud Director SDK from the list of vCloud Director instances
- Provision and clone vApps
- This functionality will efficiently provision or clone an entire vApp, including all its virtual machines and the vApp’s attributes
- Clone a running or stopped vApp.
- Deploy a vApp from templates in organization or public catalogs.
These are just a few of the integration points that NetApp has with vCD. There are more being developed. As they are released or move to beta I will discuss them as well. So, stay tuned.
Thank you for your time.